A SUCCESS STORY: FROM A START UP TO A GLOBAL PLAYER
Born out of pure enthusiasm for meteorology, UBIMET was founded in 2004 as the start-up by Michael Fassnauer & Manfred Spatzierer, and can now look back on an exciting success story. As true then as it still is today, UBIMET stands for high-precision meteorology and the highest standards in quality.
- > UBIMET concludes “Preferred Partnership Agreement” with Red Bull.
- > The successful cooperation with the German Association of Public Insurers commences.
- > In June the company receives the accolade of “Service-oriented claims service provider” in Germany & Austria.
- > The World’s fifth best airport, Hamad International Airport, opts for the Weather Cockpit®.
- > Swiss Railways SBB starts optimising its winter ops with Weather Cockpit®.
- > The premium weather app MORECAST broke the 15 million download mark.
- > The UBIMET Weather Cockpit won the World Sumit Award Austria 2017.
- > The energy and insurance specialist EWC Weather Consult GmbH rebranded as UBIMET GmbH.
- > UBIMET managed the lightning and extreme heat policies for the Rugby League World Cup 2017.
- > The premium weather app MORECAST broke the 12 million download mark.
- > The Australian sailing team won a gold medal and three silver medals at the Rio Olympics with UBIMET.
- > UBIMET is for the third season the official weather service provider of the FIA.
- > PGA Australia became a new UBIMET customer and uses tailored weather information for all golf tournaments.
- > The MORECAST weather app was launched in July 2015 and surpassed the six million download mark by December 2015.
- > The energy and insurance specialist EWC Weather Consult GmbH became part of the UBIMET Group.
- > Frankfurt Airport and Deutsche Bahn became customers of the UBIMET Weather Cockpit.
- > UBIMET received funding from FFG’s “Frontrunner” program as an international leader in weather warnings.
- > UBIMET gained the Football Federation of Australia and Golf New South Wales as sports customers.
- > UBIMET became the official weather service provider of the FIA for every Formula 1 race around the globe.
- > The Swiss media specialist MeteoNews became a strategic partner of the UBIMET Group.
- > The uwz.at and wetter.tv apps surpassed the one million download mark.
- > UBIMET opened a branch office in New York City.
- > The ÖSV (Austrian Skiing Association) relied on the weather forecasts provided by UBIMET during Olympic winter games.
- > UBIMET moved to the ARES TOWER in Vienna.
- > nowcast, the specialist in the field of lightning detection, became part of the UBIMET group.
- > Full-scale meteorological operations began in Australia.
- > UBIMET received a major contract from Deutsche Bahn.
- >UBIMET secured new clients for its Event Management products including the Beach Volleyball European Championship 2013 and the Red Bull X-Alps.
- > UBIMET started offering its services via purpose-built Apps.
- > Red Bull joined as shareholders and UBIMET supplied data for the “Stratos” project.
- > UBIMET successfully supported the Australian sailing team during the London Olympics, assisting them to win one silver and three gold medals.
- > Private customers in Germany and Switzerland gained access to UBIMET services. UBIMET secured the Kurier and Kärntner Tageszeitung newspapers as customers.
- > Started operations in Australia and opened a branch office in Melbourne.
- > UBIMET expanded to Croatia.
- > UBIMET supplied over 1.5 million people in Central and Eastern Europe with severe weather warnings.
- > As part of the European Research Initiative “Internet of the Future“, UBIMET was invited as one of three companies from across Europe to the opening ceremony in Brussels.
UBIMET 2006 – 2010
As the first weather service in Austria, UBIMET received the ISO certification (EN ISO 9001: 2008) for its storm warnings.
www.wetter.tv, the UBIMET Weather website for German-speaking countries went live.
UBIMET expanded its activities to Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic.
In the spring of 2008 UBIMET was revitalized and with 100% ownership by the founders Michael Fassnauer and Manfred Spatzierer they continued the success story internationally and facilitated expansion.
Awarded second place at the WINNING Young Entrepreneurs Competition 2007 – Michael Fassnauer was selected as one of the top 3 young Austrian entrepreneurs of 2007.
The company was awarded third place in the category “The most innovative start-up companies” at the Viennovation Awards, 2006, and distinguished for the INDUS project.
The growth rate and investments in our own research and development department paid off and were honoured with the following prizes: Safe and Secure 2006, Mercur 2006
The Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB received weather information from UBIMET in order to plan their resources better and to increase the safety and efficiency of railway operations.
Michael Fassnauer and the meteorologist Manfred Spatzierer found the company.
Formation of the Severe Weather Center Austria (Unwetterzentrale Österreich; UWZ.at) – the UWZ offers severe weather warnings around the clock. For the first time, location-specific severe weather alerts down to the postal code level were offered to the Austrian market.
Largest private weather service in Austria – Only a few months after its foundation, UBIMET supplied renowned customers such as the dpa (German Press Agency) with daily weather information.